Tips for Caring for Bed Linens & Sheets:
- Pre-wash all new linens and sheets before using, unless the care instructions say, Dry Clean Only.
- Set your machine to a delicate cycle and use cool to warm water.
- Wash bed linens separately from other laundry, and do not mix with items containing polyester. Separate colors.
- Avoid detergents that contain whiteners, and do not use fabric softeners or dryer sheets.
- Do not use high heat to dry your sheets, and if possible, remove from the dryer while slightly damp.
- Smooth out your linens and hand press them while still damp. This reduces wrinkles and helps preserve the textiles.
- Rotate your sheets so that you have one set on the bed, a set being laundered, and a set in the linen closet. Try to rotate the fitted sheet so that the top and the bottom are interchanged.
- Bath linens should be treated in the same manner and washed separately from other laundry.
Photo from Mark Cunningham design project in Southampton, NY.